Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ethical Issues Of former clients

Should "helpers" ever be in a sexual relationship with a former client? Use the Code of Ethics/Standards you printed that represent your interest area. What do the standards suggest or say?
As I read over several of the codes of ethics that I printed, I found discrepancies to answer this question. Some of the “codes” actually grant permission for such relationships only they give a time line and circumstances, others leave it up to interpretation and refer back to “dual relationships” which to me creates problems because some of codes state that certain circumstances allow dual relationships (not sexual) in order for the client/professional relationship to work. So technically, I say that former client sexual relationship ethics are up to interpretation. This means “personal ethics”. In my opinion, there are rights and wrongs and there are things we can’t control. I think as professionals we are obligated to avoid situations where feelings are getting out of control and I think sexual actions w/clients is wrong. However, I also understand human nature therefore I say that if a relationship develops between client and professional and the professional relationship terminates then the rest should be non-public. I stand here saying I would never do these things but as a human do I know? Not really… No one does. Human sexuality is spontaneous ; at least that’s what I believe. So my answer is no it shouldn’t happen but at the same time it shouldn’t be punishable.

No comments:

Post a Comment